Spotlight on Michael.
One of the newer additions to the rapidly expanding Growthwright accounting team is a University of Alabama graduate who grew up in West Point, N.Y. Funny, smart as a whip and a sharp dresser, staff accountant Michael Lau thinks Ben Wyatt has the best accounting jokes and joined Growthwright thanks to a hedgehog. Yes, you read that right. Read on to find out a little more about Michael and how a nocturnal bundle of spines brought him to us.
- What sound or noise do you hate? Techno or dub step music. I love all genres of music but the industrial grinding noises in those songs get on my nerves to such an extent that I used to set Skrillex as my early morning wake-up call. Guaranteed to get me out of bed to shut that off as soon as possible!
- What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Lawyer. I love arguing with a logical approach, and I actually had everything in place to attend the Naval Academy with the goal of being in the JAG division. But a poorly-timed snowboarding accident changed my plans at the last second, and I ended up at the University of Alabama.
- What profession would you not like to do? Teacher. I enjoy the process of teaching and imparting knowledge, but I’m pretty sure I am nowhere near diplomatic enough to handle the parents.
- At which store would you like to max-out your credit card? Either Brooks Brothers in suits and accessories, or Bass Pro. It would be awesome to have one of those boats with a platform for bow fishing. I’m a big duck hunter, but the added challenge of hunting through water, where what you’re aiming at isn’t exactly where it appears to be, is another level.
- What was your favorite TV show when growing up?House, M.D. Hugh Laurie’s dry humor, the mystery of the case-of-the-week and that dynamic of the smartest guy who is tenacious about finding the answers all really appealed to me.
- How old is the oldest pair of shoes in your closet? I have a pair of boots for yard work that is at least 10 or 12 years old.
- What is the nerdiest thing you do in your spare time? I make spreadsheets to gamble on sports. I know there’s sites that do this for you, but I like to do it myself. One baseball season I turned $25 into $550 with games mapped out based on pitching statistics and weather forecasts. Now that sports betting is completely legal, though, the thrill has worn off.
- What’s your favorite snack? I’m not much of a snacker, but every once in a great while, I can really go to town on a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos. Then, I’m good for months.
- What’s the worst pet you have ever had? My brother’s albino hedgehog “Natty” (short for National Championship – Roll Tide!). I was looking to make my next move and spent a couple of weeks in my brother’s apartment at Western Kentucky. Even that short amount of time in the same room with that spiky nocturnal beast was enough to inspire me to find a good spot quickly. In no time, this opportunity at Growthwright found me, and here I am today.
- Worst job: During winter break of my freshman year in college, I worked three weeks for a friend of my father’s who has a tile business. The project was marble tile for a staircase and carrying buckets of mud up three flights of stairs convinced me staying in college was the right path for me!
- Favorite sports: Watching Yankees baseball and Alabama football. The seasons don’t even overlap that much so I can move seamlessly from one to the next and back again.
- Favorite books: I really enjoy books about the Navy SEALS like No Easy Day and Men in Green Faces.
- Strange talent: I pride myself on being able to find the best song or artist to soundtrack the day.